Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Getting ready for Heartland Apicultural Society Meeting



So. . . .it's going to happen July 6-8, 2006. What a great weekend to look forward to. I went last time with my Aunt and Uncle and learned a ton of stuff. You have no idea how little you really know when you get the opportunity to go to a meeting like this and learn so much.

If you have ever had an interest in beekeeping here is a great chance for you to learn just what it's all about. I've only been to a couple of other meetings and while they were good, this one is laid out so nicely that you can't help but find the perfect topic that deals with just what you need to learn about. In fact there are several classes that are the same time so I have to choose which one to go to. The good thing is Jim is going and we can split up to make sure that we get all our bases covered.

The bees are doing great. We had a great deal of rain last night, so much rain that the television spent the entire night focusing on the weather . . . yikes. We survived the rain; the beehives didn't blow or float away. We were out in them last Sunday and added a few supers and did some tweaking here and there. We did lose the two nucs as well as one hive. I have absolutely no idea what happened. We also were able to find the hive the swarm came from. It's really weak and I'm trying to decide what to do with it at this point. We found babies so I know there is a queen in it, but I don't know if it's too late to do anything.

The other exciting thing that’s going on is I started making candles. I didn’t know if it’s something I wanted to get into but I really had a blast doing it. . Seems like when you sell honey most people ask me if I have candles. Time will tell.







Have a great week!

No comments: