Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Tornado on Friday March 31, 2006

Ok, for some reason I forgot to mention the horrible storm that hit here on Friday night. Jim and I had gone out to dinner and all of a sudden Jim realized his phone was ringing and I heard him say, "I'm surprised to hear from you." The connection must have been bad because then he said that it was Scott, his brother in law, asking him if we were in the basement. Jim said, "They must be at the house looking for us." The next thing I know Jim was back on the phone and I heard him say something about a tornado and Palmyra. We happen to live in Palmyra and I got a little nervous. The next thing I know, Jim is paying the check and we are making a mad dash through the most drenching downpour of rain that I have ever seen. I kept thinking, "Did I marry a madman?"
It turns out that Scott had heard over the scanner that a possible tornado was seen in Palmyra and he wanted to make sure we were in the basement. What a scary ride we had home. Ok, I was scared, Jim was fine. When we pulled up into the driveway we thought we had lost power because there wasn't the usual every light in the house left on scenario that we usually come home to. But Jim must have been the last one out the door and he is much better at doing that than I am. The heavy log chairs on the front porch were moved from one end to the other and things were scattered all over. We both immediately looked over at the hives and they were all standing tall. The weather is so unpredictable. One minute it snows and the next its sunny and warm. Welcome to Michigan.

2 comments:

FLbeekeeper said...

Good to hear that the hives all survived the downpour and gusts. No one likes a deadout this early in the season.

debbiesuew said...

Thanks for speaking up. I feel real foolish trying to explain what's going on here, I'm pretty lucky to have a beekeeping group nearby, but it's almost 2 hours away and I've never had anyone who know a whole lot let me know if I'm doing the right thing. Kind of like being on an island in the middle of the USA:)