Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Friday, September 08, 2006

Yippee Extraction is finished!!!!

I'm totally whipped, Jim and I have been busy extracting honey all week and although I know its great to have honey to extract after the first few days the excitement wears off and the sticky honey everywhere starts to make you want to scream.
I washed the floors in my kitchen 9 times last night and I'm still finding places where honey has dripped. Jim was heading up the stairs and called down to me "Honey, there is honey on the stairs." Grrrr.......One more place to clean.. . .
The honey is stored in covered buckets and our storage tank; today we have to deal with the wax cappings. Actually I forgot to mention, we put all the supers (honey boxes) out for the bees to clean and at this point it's probably not safe to go out to the bee yard. They go crazy when they find the wet honey. . . .But it’s the best way to get the boxes all cleaned up and ready for next year.
Can you imagine how they feel when they get a whiff of honey and when they follow their little noses? I'm sure they feel like they hit the lottery when they find a box all cut open with the leftover honey in it that we were not able to extract. Watching the bees all over the honey boxes reminds me of the shoppers on the outside of Wal-Mart for the day after Thanksgiving sale, just lined up forever and once they are in the stores they spread out and grab everything in sight. . .
So today I'm cleaning up equipment, making candles and cleaning wax getting it ready to go out to the solar extractor. Sound like fun. Oops and I forgot, I've got to bottle some honey so that I can take some to market. . . .

No comments: