Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bee Yard Update

We are dealing with problems in the bee yard this week. I wish I'd have just one day of peace and quiet. We started pulling honey yesterday and found that in the three hives I've been trying to build up there are wax moths. I've been fighting this for a few weeks and thought I'd finally gotten rid of them. I had replace the boxes the bees were in, I gave them frames with honey brood and pollen on them and started feeding them to help them get a good start. I was sick when I found the wax moths. I know it's because the hive wasn't strong enough to get rid of them, but once again, I'm battling them. I replace the boxes once again, but today when I went out to put the feeders on, I found the bees in the middle of robbing one of them. It was horrible and I wasn't sure what to do. I came inside got online and read that a wet bed sheet over the top of the hive should slow them down. I don't know at this point I think it was too late. Jim's down, and I'm down. We feel like we have failed at taking care of them the way we should of. In the back of my mind I can hear someone whispering to me to learn from this. Great I'm learning while the bees are suffering.

No comments: