Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Is there sun in Michigan ?

Ok, I realize it's Michigan I'm living in, but the amount of rain that we have had to put up with this year is amazing. I was just on the phone with mom and she said they could really use the rain in Oklahoma. I'd love to send it to her.

Almost the Fourth of July, and we have no big plans. Still working on finishing the basement and bottling honey and getting things organized in the honey house. Yes I know I really don't have a honey house yet, I'm working on it. But I believe in the idea of positive thinking, and if I believe I have a honey house, one day I will. Right now when I refer to the honey house, what I'm actually talking about is the downstairs bedroom and the back of the truck. I also have a few additional rooms that come into play from time to time, like when I bottle or make candles but I can't really count those because they aren't permanent. So for now when I refer to honey house you will know what I mean.

I had these really big ideas when I started about how I would build a little honey house and the world would be perfect. . . then the reality of what that entailed as well as the cost of taking care of bees hit me. Going to the market every Saturday has help offset some of the cost. But I'm a long long long long way from making any kind of profit. So for any of you out there who are reading my blog and you think that bees are a get rich project. . . . call me:)

A better way to think about it would be that going to market is your way of coming up with bee support money. It comes in and goes out just as fast. I got home from market with my biggest sale day ever and after going to the bee conference this week and placing my Betterbee order I'm in the hole a couple of hundred dollars. . . . get the point?

Why do I do it? I really enjoy it. I love being in the yard watching the bees heading in and out. The smell of a honey house when your harvesting honey is the most amazing thing. Smelling a beeswax candle reminds me of it all over again. Beekeeping is something you will never figure out, and at some point you realize that no matter how much you learn, there is always a ton more to learn. Thinking about how much there is to learn can be way overwhelming so for now I try to just tackle each day as it comes. Occasionally I manage to plan ahead a little. But not usually. But the challenge as well as the enjoyment is what makes me look forward to taking those daily walks to the bee yard. . .

No comments: