Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Apple Cinnamon Creamed Honey




Can you picture honey dribbled throughout a kitchen covering every possible inch of counter space? How about a sink full and then some of dishes. . . Well if you can you probably also heard me muttering a few choice words right about noon today.

I had the recipe, I had all the ingredients but the first problem became painstakingly apparent when 11 pounds of honey did not fit in my mixing bowl. I turned it down low and took my time at first but when I realized I had to add the fruit and spices I started to panic.

So that's when I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea. I would add all the spices and oils to the whole batch and then pour half of it out and add half of the fruit to what was left and then when I finished that batch I'd put it in a bowl until I got the other half done. So are following this little adventure?


Here I am, with a mixer overflowing, which spilled just a tad when I took it off the mixer to put half of it in a clean shiny glass bowl, trying to be ever so tidy. Ok, I never ever said I was real domesticated. But I really did think that this would be something I could handle. I kept on going and when I added the fruit it just didn't want to seem to mix in. I had to mix it way longer than they said I should and after it finally got all mixed up I realized I had to pour this bowl full into another bowl. Bowl number three. After I scraped it into the other glass bowl, I picked up the first bowl and put it back in my mixer. It took awhile but I finally got the fruit mixed in and when I went to combine them I realized that neither of the bowls I took out would accommodate that much creamed honey. . . so out comes another bowl.

By now the spatula has been dropped on the very clean counter enough times that I had as much honey on the handle as was on the end of the spatula. So now my hands are covered in honey and every time I go to get something I'm leaving little honey prints everywhere.

It took forever and I mean forever to get through this little project and after I got it put into jars I sure didn't feel the love. . . . And after spending the next two hours cleaning up the kitchen I know there wasn't any love. . .

I did smile when I looked at the cut comb and can't wait to take it to market. As for the creamed honey, well it has to refrigerate for 7 to 10 days and hopefully if it will make its debut at market the week after next. I have pictures of honey hard as a rock in pretty jars. . . .

I have to remember this is an adventure I'm on and it's not where I'm going to end up that’s important but instead it’s all about the journey.

Boy today I sure with someone else was driving, I feel like I got really lost and drove around for hours and hours getting nowhere. Sigh!

Coming soon to a farm market near you. . . Apple Cinnamon Whipped or Creamed honey. . .just look for the woman with a honey laden spatula stuck to the back of her head.

No comments: