Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sunshine Finally

















Well it finally stopped raining. Yesterday in between the downpour I came home at lunch to find this little mess. Talked with Uncle Ted and he said it was probably a afterswarm from last Sundays adventure. Great. . . I found a queen in the group and put her along with the whole mess in another box. Once I went inside the hive they were hanging onto I cleaned out all the queen cells I could find. Didn't want any more leaving town.

I just got out of the yard a short while ago and it was nice to finally see what has been going on. I learned a whole mess of stuff.
  1. Don't leave hive top feeders on new package bees too long. I just spent the last two hours scaping larvae and bees wax and honey trying to pry them from the box. In two cases it was so bad that I gently scraped them away and put just a empty box over the top of the whole mess. I wasn't sure what to do. There were babies everywhere.
  2. No matter how bad the weather is, check on things. I ended up putting 5 supers on and combing two hives on top of trying to take all the feeders away, and I only got 12 done so far. I have at least 9 more to do.
  3. Make sure that the ground the bees are on isn't going to turn into a river. Right now I'm wearing rainboots just to get from one hive to another.
  4. I'm still kicking myself over the feeders. What I thought was going to be a great idea, sure didn't turn out that way.
Well back out for another round. I'll take the camera out to photograph whats going on so someone else can learn from how badly I've messed up.

No comments: