Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hive #3

Hive #3 - These girls pretty much did their own thing all year. They weren't real productive and they weren't the tail end of things. They just sort of hung out and seemed to enjoy life.
Jim jokes with me a whole lot about how I'd go out there and pull a tree stump out and just watch them fly in and out. This was the hive I'd end up watching more than most. That's because the tree stump was pretty nearby and they were pretty calm and never really noticed me hanging out. . . I don't know how to explain how amazing it is seeing them come in and out and watch them navigate in heavy with pollen on their legs. Or how to explain the "guards" checking out each and every bee. Once in awhile I'll catch a wasp trying to make its way in. At first they wander in and try to act like they are no different than the rest of the girls, then when they are pretty much detected they end up trying to evade the homeowners. Before you know it, the wasp either gets real smart, or the girls gang up on her and give the wasp a real education. . . .

No comments: