Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Time to get back to market!


Miss Abby
Well spring is in the air, that's of course if you can get past the muck, the rain, the mud and yes occasionally the snow and sleet. Then again we live in Michigan which means the weather isn't exaction a real predictable thing. I hope to get enough things together to get to market this Saturday. I've got some fall honey to bottle and I have some whipped honey ready as well. Just getting back into the swing of things will be great. If you get a chance, stop on down to the Farm Market in Toledo and visit me, I'll be the one in the funny bee hat(probably keeping my ears warm)brrrrrrrr.


The bees had a real rough winter. It was pretty bad I ended up losing almost 70 percent of my bees. Some were weather related, hives that got tipped over this winter, some mice decided to inhabit the bottom of the hive and the bees just couldn't handle it. I have no idea what happened to the rest. I don't believe my losses were related to colony collapse disorder because I found dead bees in all the hives I lost. It broke my heart to see some of them die of starvation with honey just a frame or two away from them. I still have so much to learn, Uncle Ted says it's a lifetime learning curve. Great. . . . . This year I'm going to approach my bee yard with a whole different way of beekeeping, I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime underneath my feet is a new addition to the family, Miss Abby, another hunting dog for my husband and a great companion for me and my other buddy Jedd (the poodle that doesn't know he is a poodle). She's about 10 weeks old and yes she is a handful. To tell you the truth though, she is the smartest little thing you can shake a stick at. She already rings the bell on the front door to let me know it's time to go out. She knows how to sit and she has a pretty good temperament inside until she decides to get Jedd a little riled up. She doesn't back down and so far either has Jedd. It's gets pretty noisy in here sometimes.

See you soon!