Wines Bee Yard Home Page

After reading our blog if you can return to our web site!

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hive #1 (The Swarm)


What can I say about this group of girls. . . . Well these girls were from a swarm that I found on the lake last summer. I requeened it shortly after I got it because it just wasn't doing real great and after talking to my Uncle (The all knowing all seeing all everything) Ted, he suggested that I do it. Anyway, it's been kind of touch and go since I started with them last summer. This winter we went through so much with them. I really did not think they made it. It was so bad inside that I cleaned it out and found so many millions (ok, it seemed like millions) of dead bees on a warm day in March that I thought for sure they were a goner. I kept an eye on them and occasionally saw a random bee here and there but no real sign of life. The last couple of warm days I checked all the hives and this one was doing nothing. Instead of feeling as sad as I was, I decided to really just learn something from it. You have no idea how I felt when I went out there this evening and found what I found.
Here is a photo.

No comments: